External Communications Specialist
The External Communications Specialist is a new, critical role that executes Proximity Designs communications to international and local audiences. This means working closely with the External Communications Manager to design and maintain a consistent Proximity narrative across platforms. Your goals are to understand the various audiences and increase Proximity’s brand awareness and value. This is a dynamic role for someone willing to get their feet wet (in the office and in the field!) with communications.
What You Will Do
- Develop and implement strategic communications plans for international and local audiences for Proximity Designs.
- Assist with international and local media relations, with particular responsibility for the latter: foster relationships with media, create and pitch story angles and manage media activities.
- Coordinate Proximity’s thought leadership approach and speaking opportunities.
- Help organize events and media relations activities (international and local).
- Work with Creative Services and external creative partners to develop communications materials.
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders in the organization.
- Translate relevant social media posts into Burmese.
- You have 1-2 years of work experience in communications.
- You are detail-oriented and an excellent communicator, both written and oral.
- You possess the traits of any successful communicator: adaptability, creativity, empathy for your audience, strong ability to learn and work in teams.
- You have the ability to work across teams and cultures to build strong relationships.
- You are interested in being part of an organization that greatly impacts local communities.
- You are an expert in speaking and writing in English and Myanmar.
1. Competitive salary with medical benefits
2. Nearly limitless opportunities for professional growth & career development
3. Talented, forward-thinking colleagues
4. World-class training opportunities through our Proximity School
5. Chance to build a unique, nationwide operation in a frontier market
6. Amazing office environment with in-house café
7. Potential for international travel to conferences & special events
8. Annual performance bonuses
9. Change lives for the better, doing groundbreaking, unprecedented work in Myanmar
About Proximity Designs
Proximity Designs is an award-winning social business in Myanmar. We design and deliver affordable, income-boosting products that complement the entrepreneurial spirit of rural families.
Launched in 2004, we’ve created Myanmar’s largest agricultural services platform — farm technology, advising and finance — to help small family farms be profitable. Across our platform, we’re now engaging with over 100,000 new customers a year, on top of the 550,000 we’ve already served. These families see an average of $250 annual income increase as a result — a life-changing amount for those living on less than $3 a day.
By using human-centered design, we listen, observe and learn from our customers. From this deep knowledge, we design and bring to market products and services to meet their changing needs. Today the scope of our network reaches nearly 80 percent of the farming population. We have customers in the Ayeyarwady Delta, Lower Myanmar, the central Dry Zone and the Shan hills.